Fable Legends may continue development at an independent studio - Report - Fable Legends for Xbox One News
Cancelled Xbox One/PC game Fable Legends may be resurrected at an independent studio formed by ex-Lionhead employees, a new report has revealed.
MCV claims to have spoken to three sources at the studio, which reveal that staff are currently "being surveyed as to whether they would like to continue working" on the cancelled game, "or just accept the redundancy package that has been put before them". If accepting the latter, they would leave in April, the report says.
One of the sources, however, states that "certain Lionhead employees" have proposed to open an independent studio with which to continue working on the game. It isn't clear from the report whether Microsoft is considering the proposal.
Microsoft announced plans to close Lionhead and cancel Fable Legends last month, despite the game expected to be just months away from release. It chose not to comment specifically on the details of MCV's report when contacted by the site.
"We aren't sharing additional details beyond that we have ceased development on Fable Legends, and are in discussions with employees at Lionhead about our proposed closure of the studio as well," a Microsoft spokesperson said.
Fable Legends' closed beta is scheduled to be shut down next Wednesday, April 13.